Friday, December 6, 2013

A new heart


Today was feeling very unmiraculous.  It is a grey day in central Pennsylvania, and it is raining buckets.  I feel like I have been experiencing layers of difficulties for many months.  Not the kind of challenges that would make a good book or movie, but challenges that are significant and stretching for me. 

I woke up today trying to have a new day, but with the difficulties of yesterday following me.  I thought about gratitude preceding miracles.  I gave myself a pep talk.  I thought about what I might write about today.  Which miracle?  Sometimes it is easier for me to believe that Christ can raise Jarius’ daughter from the dead, or that he can feed 5,000+ with five loaves and two fishes than it is to believe that with His help I will be able to make potato casserole for 125 people, prepare my family for a 12 day trip, and be ready to speak in church for 20 minutes on Sunday. 

Then I rear-ended someone on my way to the store to buy treats for the airplane and pounds and pounds of cheese, butter, and sour cream for the potato casserole.  Fortunately, everyone was fine.  We exchanged insurance information, and then I went to the store to buy the groceries I needed. 

On my way home I prayed. I felt sad, overwhelmed, and picked on.  As I prayed, I felt the pit dissolving in my stomach, and the heaviness in my heart dissipating.  I felt hopeful. 

Tonight’s miracle is a short, but powerful one.  Alma 5:7 says, “Behold, He changed their hearts…”  A new heart is a miracle I am always grateful for, and one I often find myself seeking.  Often in life God is isn’t willing to change our circumstances for us, but in my experience, He will quickly help change how we feel about our circumstances.  For me that is what a change of heart is all about.  If I can feel right I can do and act right.  For me that requires divine help; the miracle of a changed heart. 

2 comments:

  1. so sorry about the car accident. I admire your spirit of pressing on:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ash - I love these posts. Reading them became a powerful heart-changing experience for me the other night - thank you so much for writing (I know how difficult it is to find the time!) You are a powerful influence for good! I look forward to connecting and hearing more about your life.

    ReplyDelete